Buttrum's Mill

Buttrum's Mill

Buttrum's Mill

Buttrum's Mill

A 6-storey tower mill containing particularly elegant machinery, built by John Whitmore, the famous Suffolk millwright, in 1836. It has been maintained by Suffolk County Council since the 1950's. The fully shuttered patent sails still turn although the mill does not grind. This is the last Suffolk windmill with 4 pairs of wind-driven millstones. There is a ground floor display on the history and workings of the mill.

Taken - 09/09/2007
Ref:
Date:
Location:
Just off A12 bypass, 1 mile west of Woodbridge, Suffolk.
Photographer:
Stephen Dutch