Bolton Parish Church

Bolton Parish Church

Bolton Parish Church

Bolton Parish Church

The Parish Church of St Peter, commonly known as Bolton Parish Church, is a fine example of the gothic revival style. Built between 1866 and 1871 of Longridge stone to designs by Paley, the church is 67 ft (20.4 m) in width, 156 ft (47.5 m) in length, and 82 ft (25.0 m) in height. The tower is 180 ft (54.9 m) high with 13 bells. The first church on the same site was built in Anglo-Saxon times. It was rebuilt in Norman times and again in the early 1400s. Little is known of the earlier churches, but the third building was a solid, squat building with a sturdy square tower at the west end. It was modified over the years until it fell into disrepair and was demolished in 1866. Fragments of stone and other artefacts from these first three buildings are displayed in the museum corner of the present church.

This picture was taken, the day after we received the heavy snowfall that brought chaos in Bolton, all the shops shut early, there was no public transport and the town centre was a no-go area!

Taken - 06/01/10
Ref:
Date:
Location:
Churchgate, Bolton, Gtr. Manchester.
Photographer:
Stephen Dutch