The West Twll - Oldest part of the Quarry

The West Twll - Oldest part of the Quarry

The West Twll - Oldest part of the Quarry

The West Twll - Oldest part of the Quarry

(Twll =pit or hole)

Upon reaching our level footpath and traversing the hillside all the hard work was done and we had an easy stroll to reach flat open moorland and the first of two gigantic holes in the ground.

Quarrying began here in the 1840's, the pit was enlarged and deepened over the years to a depth of 200 feet. This pit has been disused since the 1860's.
Ref:
Date:
Location:
West Twll, Rhosydd Quarry, above Tanygrisiau. Snowdonia.
Photographer:
Stephen Dutch